Sunday, October 12, 2008

Interview with a Medical Assistant in Upper West


My friend Joe agreed to an interview today, he is a medical assistant on the West Side and knows a thing or two about proper diet and foods that are crucial for ones' health.


What do you do?

I am a medical assistant. I schedule appointments for patients, keep track of inventory for vitamins, nutritional supplements, office supplies and I do occasional procedures with patients.

Hmmm, what kind of procedures?

Such as muscle testing for food allergies…take blood from their finger to figure out liver function, bacteria, digestion, immune system, allergies, etc.

What is your favorite part of your job?

I like to do the food testing. It’s interesting to see what kinds of foods people are sensitive to.

Aside from drawing blood, what are some other ways you can detect (food) allergies?

People bring in samples of foods they eat.

Why?

Everything has its own energy signature…if you’re exposed to this energy…

Exposed? You mean you can tell just by exposing it? How does that work?

Your body doesn’t have to consume it in your body, example if a person has a severe allergy to nuts...by just putting it in their hand I can see this.

Ever misdiagnosed anyone?

It’s entirely possible but the more you do, the more sensitive you are to changes, it’s not brain surgery.

What are most people allergic to?

People are usually sensitive to foods they have too much of actually.

What’s bad to have too much of? I guess anything of too much is bad, they say, ‘everything in moderation.’

Sugar is ALWAYS bad, but many people also have a sensitively to dairy where they may be sensitive to cheddar cheese but not to Swiss—there’s a difference within categories and it’s also how food is processed…one could be sensitive to rice, but not rice milk.

That’s crazy! Bet it gets complicated because everyone has a different situation and what works for one may not work for the other.

Exactly. I really like these discoveries; whether it’s too much of something or if they’re trying something new, I like that part of it.

What part do you not really like?

It’s when I’m waiting for my boss to decide what the diagnosis is, he just spent all this time with someone and now he’s has to make the decision, and sometimes I get restless, I don’t really know why…

A lot of satisfied customers?

Can be life changing for some. Sometimes people get really sick and don’t even realize it’s because of the food they are eating. Our customers get results, vitamins, supplements…

Any supplements or vitamins you would recommend to anyone?

Yeah, but you know medically people are quick to find fault with vitamins…

I know! It’s crazy…I don’t understand our society.

Their standards (for this type of treatment) aren’t very fair…anyway, most people are deficient in one type of nutritional supplement; therefore, it never hurts for people to get a good multi.

I see, going to go load up on vitamins. I’ve been told by a few people now to do vitamins—this time, I’m convinced!

No comments: